[ secrets revealed, invasion unveiled ]
For those whose been asking me what happened after Marvel's CIVIL WAR; here's the overview story so far...
• When the CIVIL WAR dust settled, Captain America was dead and Iron Man triumphant, installed as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. As a result, two separate teams claim the Avengers mantle - the SECRET AVENGERS and the MIGHTY AVENGERS
• On the run from the government - including the Mighty Avengers; the New Avengers comprise Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange Sorcerer Supreme), Iron Fist(Danny Rand) and the new Ronin(Clint Barton formerly known as Hawkeye). They’re supported by Strange’s servant Wong and Cage’s wife Jessica Jones (the one-time hero Jewel and mother of Cage’s child).
• As part of the Initiative event, the Mighty Avengers are embroiled in a tense struggle against a new Ultron, who seized control of Tony Stark’s biomechanically enhanced body, transforming it into a female form not unlike the Wasp’s and deploying near-unstoppable new powers against the team, most recently killing the Sentry’s wife Lindy.
• Meanwhile, the New Avengers’ battle to rescue their teammate Echo from the clutches of the powerful ninja cult called the Hand ended abruptly when Echo stabbed the Hand’s leader Elektra to death: revealing that she’s not Greco-American Elektra Natchios at all, but a SKRULL IMPOSTOR. The fact that a member of this shape-shifting alien race whose long and hostile history with Earth’s heroes was recently illustrated in New Avengers: Illuminati - could assume control of the deadliest group of assassins known to man left the team wondering: Who else might be a Skrull? And WHO CAN YOU TRUST ?
• Not Spider-Woman, apparently: Whether because she’s secretly a Skrull or just thinks taking Skrullektra’s body to Tony Stark for analysis is the right thing to do despite the objections of her teammates, Jessica Drew takes advantage of the crash of the New Avengers’ jet to zap Wolverine and make off with Skrullektra’s corpse.
• New Avengers: Illuminati has been depicting untold tales of a clandestine group of heroes known as the Illuminati: Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Professor X(Charles Xavier), Mister Fantastic Reed Richards), Black Bolt Blackagar Boltagon, King of the Inhumans) and Namor the Sub-Mariner (ruler of Atlantis). Brought together in secret by Stark in the wake of the Kree-Skrull War to quietly protect humanity from major threats, the group played a major behind-the-scenes role in the Marvel Universe before splitting up prior to the Civil War. Among other tasks, they’ve chased off a Skrull fleet, gathered the Infinity Gems, attempted to banish the Beyonder from this universe, convinced Marvel Boy to rethink his life, and exiled the Hulk from the Earth.
• Capitalizing on the disarray facing Marvel’s heroes following the Civil War and the Initiative, the new Kingpin-in-training; THE HOOD, gets organized and rounds up virtually every villain who broke out of the Raft back in New Avengers #1. Promising his newfound their families - if any cape comes near his new operation. To prove his dedication to hiallies more money than they can imagine, the Hood pledges to hit heroes where it hurts particularly s new world order, the Hood physically and psychologically takes out Tigra and sets his sights to earn big while the heroes are occupied with a symbiote infestation.
• While the Mighty Avengers continue their metallic melee with the horde of Iron Man armors unleashed upon them by Ultron, Ares leaves the battle to travel to the S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier and reveals his plan to take down Ultron. After a brief meeting of the minds, Ares and Hank agree to implant a virus directly into Ultron’s system. However, to keep the Avengers busy, Ultron hacks into government systems, causing the launch of a nuclear missile off the Florida coast. While the Avengers halt the missile, the Starktech 940 drone secretly launches a shrunken Ares into the mouth of Ultron to implant the virus.
• Disturbed by recent events (and a body bag dropped on his doorstep), Iron Man calls an Illuminati meeting to address the corpse of Skrullektra and threat of a Skrull invasion, which is the result of their past attack. As the group tries to rationalize how to approach this threat, Black Bolt is revealed to be a Skrull spy who immediately attacks the stunned heroes. In the fight agains 'Black Skrolt', the Illuminati seemingly kill him, only to be surprise-attacked by Skrulls mimicking the powers of Thor and Colossus. To end the battle quickly, Iron Man creates a huge explosion that appears to have destroyed the Skrull attackers. Fueled by distrust and betrayal in light of the current situation, the team disbands again, leaving Iron Man to lament the Skrull invasion.
• With the vast majority of New York turned by the symbiote outbreak, both Avengers teams do what they can but ultimately, fall one by one to the venomous goo. Only Iron Man comes through by putting an end to the infestation and, wary of each other, both teams aid in the cleanup. The Mighty Avengers track the symbiote attack back to Dr. Doom and make plans for a trip to Latveria, but not before Wolverine pays Spider-Woman a visit in her shower to question why she had switched sides. Upon leaving, Wolvie joins his rebel teammates as they’ve located the Hood’s hideaway, where a new free-for-all is about to begin …