Finish it.

Hi.

There is just one question for you and if I dont receive a reply I'm not going to be all bent out of shape about it, but how do I finish a story that I believe is going to be great? My problem is that I start what I belive is going to be a good story and I can never finish it. I have dozens upon dozens of unfinished short stories that I know would be good reads, but I just cant seem to finish them. If you have any input for me, it would be greatly appreciated, and I would also be honored to hear back from you.

***

How do you finish them? You finish them.

There's no magic answer, I'm afraid. This is how you do it : you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until it's done. It's that easy... and that hard.

Read the stories over that you've left unfinished, pick out the one where you know what happens next and write that down, and keep writing until the story's finished. Then finish the next one or start a new one and finish that.

You may find that you need to have more of an ending in mind before you start.

I always used to know I was finishing something because instead of worrying about how it was going to end I was now worrying about how the next thing was going to start.

Most people can start a short story or a novel. If you're a writer, you can finish them. Finish enough of them and you may be good enough to be publishable.

Good luck.

Ulasan