( Made a giant list of everything I was committed to doing over the next 12 months. Some people call it RESOLUTIONS… Ooohh! Such big word it is. Never fulfill even half the list I made for the past 5 years. Then made a list of all the comic books I want to buy and read, trying to leave nothing out )


Not sure that I could have done anything had I tried, but I didn't try. As I was saying, no one's really leapt into ‘the breach’ yet, so if any of you have any favourite local comics’ you want to see burst into our market, tell me that you'd choose to support and buy them. And yesterday went in a kind of a blur. I got a bunch of workload and surprisingly, my studio manager asked me to follow him to KLCC and advised him on some comics at Kinokuya. First on the list is Alex Ross’s ‘Kingdom Come’. There were setbacks however : the title was sold-out. For an exchange, he bought ‘Superman : Red Son’ ( what if Superman landed in Soviet instead of Smallville during World War II ) and a ‘Smallville’ trade paperback. On the way home we had to stop for a bite and watch some fine looking gals walking up and down the food court. I am, on some things… a world class ‘gawker’ and when it comes to getting some absolute sightings, I'm actually travelling towards them in a car or a train or a plane made in dreamland; just shrug and go, I'll get there on time or I won't. Nothing I can do about it either way. And I don't worry. I just dream of it.

So, we made it to the office later in the evening and the whole of yesterday was not at all blur but mostly fun. And now I'm back in my cubicle, ditching my digital photography course earlier… which is more or less, a bit exhilarating and an enormous relief.

Eight years ago, I made much of my living reviewing books. As a school librarian, I haven't done it in a long time ( although I've recently seen a few quotes from my sixteen-year-old self reviewing stuff on my school magazine and gazettes, surfacing with my by-line as if they're current blurbs, proving, I suppose, that they are not entirely forgotten ), but was recently asked to review few comic books for my new magazine and this is what I felt : An obscure sense of déjà vu. I suppose I thought that book reviewing was like driving a kancil or surfing the net --- something you never forget how to do, no matter how long you don't. In reality, I'm finding, it's more like speaking a foreign language or playing a musical instrument : if you don't do it for a long time, you lose it. Not completely, and it comes back to you after a bit. But that easy, unthinking facility is gone.

So, now I just have to turn a bunch of books into an article ( ! )

And I'm in here, and they say some very nice things about my stuff ( if you're coming in late, we're really at the tip of the tail here ). Which left me really puzzled. I mean, I thought I'd be… at least to me, if not to the rest of the world, more recognisable than any other elusive comic book reviewers out there.


Apparently not.


How odd.



Ulasan